Roman, again we meet in agreement. My bible of historical instruments lists
the mandocello, but not a mandoloncello. I think you are right about which
is corrupted. The violoncello is a different family, and the forming word is
violin (as contrasted to viol - as in viola da gamba, a fretted instrument).

The mandocello is larger mandolin. The sequence in size is mandolin,
mandora, mandocello, mandobass.

And that entire family of instruments made by "luthiers" is like the naming
of cars (which all may be on the same frame). Which engine do you want, four
doors or two? If it is a flat back then it is a cittern, unless it is
triangular in body - then it is a balalaika. (Yes, I know there are more
differences - but that is the point).

What can I say, is the answer from Shakespeare (paraphrased) "a rose by any
other name would play as sweet", or is it Gertrude Stein "a rose is a rose
is a rose".

My new charango (which Bill tells me that you accepted as an instrument when
you decided it was basically a vihuela de mano) will make a fine alto
mandora (tuned to d" rather than g") when I get the right strings on it
(I've approximated them from my spare stock and it works, now ordering
better guages). But I can't call it a mandora as it has a "waist" like the
vihuela/guitar family, but also the deep rounded body of the lute and
mandolin.

Do I call it a chandora or a mandango? But then again the tuning might be
that of a mandocello (in pitch) - but chancello doesn't work. BTW, the
4-5-4-5 tuning intervals may be quite amenable to that parallel fifths
piece, I'll have to try that tomorrow (I have tab paper and can recast it).
I chose the d" tuning as the 36cm VL won't hold the g" that is nominal for
the mandora - and by having d", g', d', g, d puts one in a convenient set of
keys. The instrument would handle a higher pitch of a tone or so, but not
the g".

Sorry guys, the old Celt is voluable as usual, but not combative. The real
point on any instrument is not its name but the combination of factors that
make it an instrument. How many courses, how many strings per course, what
kind of body and soundboard (not really that significant for play, but quite
significant for tonality). How long the VL (which not only effects pitch but
also the mood, as the pitch effects the mood). How do you intend to tune the
open strings? My charango tuned as a mandora isn't either one.

But the name is important in one thing, to the extent that it defines the
open string tuning it sets which intabulated music you can play if you call
for it by name. Although one can recast the tab one is yet limited by the
range of the strings you are using and how far they need to be retuned. For
instance, one can play lute tab on a standard guitar by shifting two strings
by one full tone - but one can't play 4,5,4,5 mandora music on a lute - the
move is to great to retain the musicality of the strings.

Best, Jon