Michael,

>     I couldn't tell you the physical principles involved. Maybe it has to
do
> with friction and mass, and the fact they play with rest stroke.
>        All I can say is it true!.... and Paco plays 10 times as fast as
any
> of the guys you mentioned, and plays with nails... I know this because I
saw
> one of his nails ( a fake one ) explode into the sky above the audience at
> concert once.

I can't speak to the use of nails on guitar or lute, I've never used nails.
But I've observed it on the harp (easier to see as the instrument is more
open). The players of the wire strung harp (the Celtic Clearsach) use nails,
the more modern gut or nylon players use finger pads. The "pluck" is a
shorter stroke with nails on the wire harp, and the possibility of speed
better. Your physical principles of friction and mass are correct.

But there is also the matter of skills, a big man can hit a baseball (or
golf ball) farther than a small man - unless that small man has exceptional
"hand speed". So to say (as someone did) that there is one player who can
play with fingertips as fast as others with nails is to compare apples and
oranges. Any one individual may have an exceptional talent that overrides a
perceived disadvantage. (As size, in the "hitter" - or nails in the player).

To extrapolate the general from the specific is normally an error. The
balalaika or mandolin player with a pick is probably going to make faster
runs than the p/i player with nails, and the finger tip player will probably
be a bit slower. Unless the finger picker is using all his fingers as a roll
(that the nail player can also do). The issue is moot. The guitar is a
higher tension, the nylon/gut guitar can be played with nails. The lute and
harp have a bit less tension and the sound production is better with finger
pads, except the wire strung harp (and I'm not sure about that, I've played
them with fingertips). And since when did speed become music, a well paced
piece is more enjoyable to me than a virtuoso race. I confess I took piano
lessons 60 years ago until I could play Jack Fina's Bumble Boogie (a boogie
woogie version of Flight of the Bumble Bee). In later years I've learned
that music isn't meant to be a contest of speed, it is a matter of the
appropriate pace, and the voices of the piece.

Best, Jon