Dear List,

Ariel's pledge for the duets of V. Galilei might stem from the
following paper by Dinko Fabris. (So sad he's not on this list!). The
whole text is available on the net, a.o. in "Magnatune's" Paul Bier
recording of Michelagnolo's 1620 book.

"Born in Florence the 18th of December 1575 (as recorded in an
horoscope generated for his brother by the famous scientist), the
education of Michelagnolo was dedicated from the very beginning to his
training as a professional musician. At the age of just nine years, in
fact, he signed the dedication of a volume of instructional
compositions by his father, eloquent as to the type of study he had
already undertaken: "...My father having composed the present two-part
Counterpoints a few days ago, so that with them (after lessons of
greater import that he has given me to study) I could exercise the
voice and the playing of the viola with the help of a solo,...."

I've asked previously, unsuccessfully, on this list which publication
or ms. Mr. Fabris might be refering to. The only duets (contrapunti) I
know of, are the ones contained in "Il Fronimo".

I know that Mr. Abramovich has had this work of mine for ages, so
perhaps he would care to elaborate.

BTW, a facsimile of V. Galilei's other great work: "Libro
d'intavolatura di liuto nel quale si contengono i passemezzi, le
romanesche, i saltarelli, et le gagliarde et altre cose ariose. Ms.
Gal 6 (1584) della Biblioteca Nazionale di Firenze." is available for
Euro 49.03 (2000) at SPES.

but no "contrapunti" there?

This other work is, as New Grove says so eloquently:

"Favouring the new major and minor keys over the church modes, which
he deplored as a false system, he recognized that equal temperament
was the only solution for instrumental tuning. His lute book of 1584
is one of the first music publications to experiment with equal
temperament. The book is comprised of 24 groups of dances, clearly
related to 12 major and 12 minor keys. His lute was tuned in G and the
first group of dances is in G (major). This was possible because of
the well-tempered tuning of his instrument."

B.R.
G.