These are great questions, David.  I cannot recall the sources, but most
agree that vihuelas should be strung in unison to the 6th.  I personally
think that Milan sounds the best in unison, but some of the later
vihuelists sound good with octaves starting at the 4th, particularly the
intabulations & polyphony.  However, I do not think there is a definitive
answer to this theory.

Of all the music (Spanish) that is extant, there were the 7 printed books
(Milan, Narvaez, Mudarra, Valderrabano, Fuenllana, Pisador, Daca, plus the
Henestroza book, and some feel Cabezon is also for vihuela) and they all
are for 6 course vihuela in standard tuning.  In his Declaration, Bermudo
talks about 7 courses, and he give tuning examples, but they are all
tunings I have never tried, and he gives examples that are not in standard
lute (vihuela) tuning and states they are for the vihuelist to compose
intabulations.

In Italy, the viola da mano had 6 or more courses.  Most agree that octave
stringing starting at the 4th was standard practice.

Although people now lean towards unison stringing, there is new evidence
that vihuelas were strung with octaves starting at the 4th;  this evidence
is from the vihuela in Paris, the E.0748 (i.e., Chambure) vihuela.  Close
examination of the bridge reveals deeper, smaller grooves on each of the
lower strings on courses 4,5, & 6, indicating that octave stringing was
used at some point of this instrument's life.

So, I think that anything you do is OK with a vihuela, in terms of
stringing.  Personally, I use unisons throughout on my 6 course Spanish
vihuela, and I love the sound.  It is not too "tubby" in the 6th course,
and it sounds beautiful that way.

For the "other " vihuelas that I use (Dan Larson constructed a consort of
the Chambure vihuelas in F, G, Bb, and C) we do unisons to the 5th, and an
octave at the 6th.  We would have strung them as the original (octaves at
the 4th), but for the Valderrabano duets, the majority of that music is
polyphonic intabulations, and the voices sounded clearer, in our opinions,
than if we had used octaves.  The octave at the 6th gives more depth to the
bass.

In terms of design, there are only 3 in existence.  The Jaquemart Andre in
Paris, the Chambure (E.0748) also in Paris, and the Quito, of which access
is not permitted for us to see.  Otherwise, some makers devise a plan from
iconography.  Personally, I like Dan Larson's vihuelas, as I like them the
best.   I would recommend getting 6 courses, as all the repertoire in the
books is for 6 course instruments, with exception of some of them for 5
course in Fuennlana's book.  John Ward sites in his dissertation names of
many vihuelistas that played 7 course vihuelas, but no music has survived
for 7 course vihuela, so we do not know how they were tuned.  Did they
follow Bermudo's odd tunings, or did they merely add a course a step or a
4th lower?  We do not know this.

At any rate, the vihuela is a fantastic instrument to play... get
one!  Also, there is a vihuela list... perhaps you could join that list as
well.

Sincerely,

ed