> ....then use the taper of the neck as a wedge by slideing the
> fret towards the bridge to compress it just a little tighter.  Repeat.
> Gradually the knot will get tighter, hopefully you will get it tight
> enough that it takes a degree of force to bring it to its proper
> position,
> where it just might stay.  Here is where you swell the end and trim it.

Good instructions and pretty much as I do but this is a question on the
order of events.

I've generally cut and swelled the end (w/ a hot knife --a butter knife
or other nonsharp variety-- w/ a blade over a candle or something hot)
_before_ moving it up to its permanent address. Wouldn't this keep the
knot tight as it moves?

A good topic to bring up now and then. A lutenist's dexterity ain't
just for the notes!

all the best,
Sean Smith