"Shaun Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Another point about nails...
>
> Playing with nails naturally gives one a more bright sound. This, as
> we all know, is not the aesthetic favoured by French baroque
> musicians in general.

There may be a diffence between playing solo or continuo. Someone as
late as Weiss mentioned it when he wrote to Mattheson that the theorbo
and arciliuto are played with nails, while the lute was played with the
fingertips. As for Mr de Visee's playing thorough bass, I simply don't
know evidence of which way he used the theorbo.

> The construction of most instruments of the
> period - harpsichords, organs, viols and woodwind instruments -
> mostly point towards a lower pitch, i.e. a darker sound. I am sure
> players who own both a large Italian and smaller continuo French
> theorbo will notice this difference with their thicker strings and
> shorter string lengths on their French instruments.

I was under the impression that the lesser theorbo was exclusively used
for solo music?

> Jorge can argue his point, but there is also music written for the
> instrument specifying an instrument in A, isn't there?

I apologize, his name is Jose Miguel Moreno. His argument may be
outlined as follows: Nominal reference pitch of the theorbo was A, but
that was for the sake of convention, because theorbos in A were
generally used for thorough bass playing. The actual pitch of the solo
theorbo, however, was D (lesser theorbo). The 1716 edition of de Visee's
music en partition may be considered evidence, as all pieces are notated
a fourth higher than the same pieces in the tablatures of the Saizenay
ms. Moreno's explanation is that solo music in tablature was notated
with reference to the nominal instrument in A. But for sounding together
with other instruments, the actual pitch had to be written, which was a
fourth higher than that of the nominal instrument.

Mathias