Lute players are admirably high-tech. I know early keyboard fanatics
who won't use a tuning fork because it wasn't invented until the
early 18th century...

Incidentally, the invention of the tuning fork is attributed to John
Shore who was a lutenist in the Chapel Royal. He called his invention
a pitch fork.

Andrew