I think it is different for different people, but in the keyboard
world I have been part of a decades long debate about Italian
harpsichords--the one size fits all debate.
And a very wise player said, it doesn't matter that you just are not
playing those extra notes for the earlier repertory, you react
differently when you play the instrument.

At first I thought that was something that one could "block out", but
the more I thought about it, the more I thought that it was true.

Another experience, seeing as how I come from the era of the great
"panzer" lutes from factories in Germany, the first time I picked up
a real six course, I was amazed that it was a totally different instrument.
Everthing about it was different, the spacing, the technique, the
feel, the sound, the fingerboard--and the sooner I started in on that
instrument, the more I felt like I was learning a good technique.
I felt, rightly or wrongly, that I needed the right instrument to go
to the next level (in this case, back a few levels at first).

Still at square one,
dt