Rob,

I envy you your 5 years of study with Bob Lundberg, and have no quarrel with his methods to the extent that they are represented in his book. I'm glad to have the book on my shelves as a cross reference and backup to David van Edwards' course. I don't regret the "dual expenditure" in having both, although I probably would have gotten Bob's book later - after my first completed lute from David's CD.

You make a good point, start cutting wood. David's CD is far more a step by step instructional than Bob's book - perhaps it is that aspect that makes it easier to break through that first block of getting started. On the other hand Bob's book (I just pulled it from my shelves and glanced through it) is a bit more general, what you call an intellectual approach.

An example - the mold (mould, form). David makes a "skeletal" mold from MDF - and provides full scale templates for it. Bob builds up his form from layers of wood (almost as in the transition from the ancient "masada" type Egyptian tomb to the smoother pyramid) which he then shaves with a draw knife. David's method is initially easier - but my next mold will be done Bob's way. In part because I love using a draw knife, and in part because one of my concerns is fittting the belly segments over the "skeletal" ribs of David's mold - and that may be my delay in restarting. There is a great deal more effort involved in matching the skeletal mold ribs than it would appear in the instructional - it took me months, and I won't be sure I have it right until I actually make the belly. In fact, come to think of it, I may consider canning the mold I made from David's instructional and making one with Bob's method (using David's templates). Not to knock David's method, I'm sure his skills at shaping the belly over the skeleton mold give him consistant and excellent results - but perhaps the fully carved form that Bob uses might instill more confidence in a beginner. The final shape of the form will be the final shape of the belly, whereas with the skeleton it will involve some extra skills in the wood bending process.

Sorry for the bit of stream of consciousness, and the picking out of one detail, but it emphasizes that there is "more than one way to skin a cat" (and luckily my cat, Lucky, isn't watching me type this - she doesn't like that analogy). I thank Troy for bringing this up, and Rob and Din for mentioning the "competing" instructionals. I am ashamed of myself for chickening out, but I think this will get me back on track - and particularly as I'll now compare the two approaches at each step and make my own decisions. I like the thought of redoing my mold, I think I'll be more comfortable with a solid one.

Best, Jon