Rob,

  I play theorbo more than anything (the only instrument which seems to pay and
you do get a lot of variety)  - mine is in A at 93cm.

  In fact G is a very strong key (possibly with D the strongest) on the A
theorbo - quite a few open strings and the relative keys are also strong.
Actually all the keys you mention are good on the A instrument and have
generally less stronger resonant shapes on the G instrument which favours flat
keys - hence why I also have a small theorbo in G (76cm) with only the top
course the octave down which I use mostly for the small scale English domestic
repertoire (Lawes, Lanier et al) who frequently favour these keys.

  Problem is also that 84cm is towards the lower end of the scale for a theorbo
and if you tune down a tone to G you may find some of the lower fingered
courses are not as strong as you wld wish (assuming you wont use overwound on
the 5th even if you do on the 6th). Indeed, if I had a large Italian instrument
in G I'd expect it to be like the biggest of the Italian instruments ie around
98/99cm.

  regards,

  Martyn

Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I have a theorbo being made now by Malcolm Prior for delivery by the end of
February. Very much looking forward to it as I haven't played a theorbo in
ten years or more. It is an 84cms Koch model, Italian tuning.

Now, I've been looking at the song repertoire by Giulio and Francesca
Caccini, a repertoire ideally suited to theorbo accompaniment. Giulio played
it, and his daughter possibly played it - she was respected as a lute
player, although the type of lute was never specified. At least in Giulio's
music one might expect 'theorbo keys' - Am, Dm, A, D. Here are the keys from
his 1614 edition (the only one I have to hand):

G or Gm ///// ///// ///// ///// /

D or Dm ////

A or Am ///

F ///// //

E /

And Francesca's (from 'Il primo libro delle musiche' 1618 - Indiana
University Press)

G or Gm ///// /////

Am //

F ///

Bb /

C /

So, a very high percentage based on G. All the keys are obviously possible
on a theorbo in A, but I wonder if their theorbo was in G. I imagine someone
(or more than one) has done research into this, and it would be interesting
to read their findings.

I've also noticed that a few theorbo recordings are on a theorbo in G, both
solo and continuo. Is it common among modern players? I imagine G would be
an easier transition for Renaissance players who think in G more easily than
A. I'm planning on having it tuned in A, with A=440, but I'm interested in
what others are doing, and general thoughts pro and contra any particular
tuning.

Rob

www.rmguitar.info