>>   As you imply: I guess it's because they can't be bothered to
>> learn to read on an A instrument
>
> A lot of people prefer to work in those areas they're most familiar
> with.  We have modern editions of Italian music in French tablature,
> because French tab is the one that a lot of people feel more at home
> with.  We tend to stay with the techniques we're most familiar with,
> and in some cases we tend to stay with the types of music we're most
> familiar with.  Someone (a most renowned and magisterial figure in
> the lute world ;-)  ;-)  ;-)) said to me last year:  "Baroque lute is
> late-period and decadent.  I don't accept it."  Another equally
> renowned luter told me last year, "if it's not renaissance music I
> don't play it."  It's not laziness;  just a reluctance to go beyond
> what's familiar.

If people are obcessive about renaissance music that is fine, but I am
sceptic about publishing italian music in french tabulature. There is so
much interesting music out there which is still unpublished, so to me its
just a waste of time and effort to translate italian music to french
tabulature. Its not difficult to learn to read italian tabulature, and I
consider it laziness not to try it.

Are (about to learn german tabulature)