Is this for real? The funniest baroque music I've ever heard:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Albrechtsberger-Concertos-Jews-Harp-Mandora/dp/B0000
05975/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

It's for real. In 2006 I had the pleasure of playing one of Albrechtsberger's concerto's for Jew's harp and Mandora. this is what I wrote for our news letter:

TOINK!

In many concerts I play, my lute is the focal point of attraction. There are many people who have never seen the instrument before and they are curious for its construction, sound and history. Not so last month when I played in Johann Georg Albrechtsberger’s concert for two violins, Jew’s harp, mandora and bass. A Jew’s harp for me was an instrument of folk music, of the flower power movement of the 1960’s and a cheap and simple children’s toy, but not an instrument for classical music. I was wrong. Albrechtsberger (1736 - 1809) went to school with Joseph Haydn’s brother Michael, was a friend of Mozart and a teacher of Beethoven. He worked as organist in various churches and abbeys before he was appointed at the imperial court in Vienna. In 1791 he succeeded Mozart as assistant Kapellmeister in St Stephen’s Cathedral in Vienna, and eventually became Kapellmeister in 1793. In 1750 Johann Heinrich Hörmann wrote a Partita in C for Jew’s harp, two recorders, four violins and continuo. It was the first work featuring the instrument, which until then had been regarded as just another folk instrument. Soon after that the Jew’s harp gained popularity in the salons of Europe and it had a few virtuoso players. One of these was the Benedictine monk Bruno Glatzl, who lived in the abbey where Albrechtsberger was working at that time. Another monk there played the mandora, so that is why Albrechtsberger wrote his concerto for Jew’s harp and mandora.

A mandora, also known as calchedon or colachon, is an 18th century German lute with 6 to 8 courses (of sometimes single strings) and 10 frets on the neck. The tuning of the first 6 courses is usually d’-a-f-c-G-D, but Albrechtsberger’s music requires a mandora tuned a tone higher to e’-b-g-d-A-E (just like a guitar), with courses 7 and 8 tuned to D and C. Although they look alike at first glance, the construction was different from that of a baroque lute, allowing higher tension strings for greater volume, because a mandora was specifically designed for continuo playing. The surviving solo music is much simpler than that for baroque lute.

Anyone who has ever heard, or even played, a Jew’s harp will know it’s a drone instrument. The player holds the instrument against his teeth and plucks a small metal spring that will resonate at one tone. By breathing in or out and by changing the cavity of his mouth he can play the harmonics on this tone. For even a slightly complicated melody he needs more than one Jew’s harp, tuned on another note than the first one. Albrechtsberger’s concerto requires four harps. The player holds these in his two hands and has to switch between them quite rapidly. Once you are used to the very low volume of the instrument, much softer than a lute, you will be able to hear distinctions in dynamics and tone colour that make it a surprisingly sensitive instrument, able of conveying delicate feelings in music. For me it was quite a surprise, so at the market, the concert was part of a three-day international Jew’s harp festival with many concerts, lectures and a market, I bought a harp myself. Here I also found an Ainu mukkuri, the Jew’s harp of the indigenous people of Japan’s northern island Hokkaido. It was sold by a group of Japanese who had come all the way to Holland just for this festival! So, apart from practicing my Jew’s harp, I am now also playing the mukkuri.

David van Ooijen