Oops, sorry to Pietro and David - I hope you are not offended by my comment. It did bring a broad smile to my face, though, which is not such a bad thing
these days.

Rob

I was laughing out loud the full week of receiving the music, chuckling during rehearsals and smiling during the concert.

David - enjoying a hilarious job at times

PS: Disclaimer.

Someone sending me a private reply commented on my one-page summary of Albrechtsberger, Jew's harp, mandora and personal adventure, implying that my paragraph on the mandora ...

A mandora, also known as calchedon or colachon, is an 18th century German
lute with 6 to 8 courses (of sometimes single strings) and 10 frets on the
neck. The tuning of the first 6 courses is usually d'-a-f-c-G-D, but
Albrechtsberger's music requires a mandora tuned a tone higher to e'-b-g-d-A-E
(just like a guitar), with courses 7 and 8 tuned to D and C. Although they
look alike at first glance, the construction was different from that of a
baroque lute, allowing higher tension strings for greater volume, because a
mandora was specifically designed for continuo playing. The surviving solo
music is much simpler than that for baroque lute.
<<

.. was lacking in clarity. He said the large A tuned instrument (string length c. 95cm) was the professional continuo instrument, and said he wanted to know of evidence showing the D (or E) tuned galichonmandora was used for continuo. I have none. Semantically I think you could argue I didn't claim to either, safely leaving the continuo part of the story to the mandora in general without connecting it to string lengths or tunings, but I don't deny you could also read in my passage that mandoras in D and E were 'specifically designed for continuo playing', too. I should think any instrument in the hands of a professional continuo player will serve as continuo instrument, by the way, but that is besides the point for someone seeking evidence of past use. And a good point that is. Once more, I have none and will gladly bow to superior knowledge.