Broude Brothers Performer's Facsimile Series--lute song books by Dowland and
others as well as Robert Dowland's Varietie of Lute Lessons. They used to be
priced around $18-25 per book.

  Broude does have the occasional sale where you can save 10-20% if you spend
enough $$, but OMI should have these as well.

  jeff

Christopher Stetson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi, all,
If it is the books of songs that you're looking for, Dover Publications has (or
had) an inexpensive modern edition; complete, 2 books to the volume. They
include "original" ( i.e., modern typeset) tab, staff notation for capoed
guitar with F# 3rd, and voice. Very nice, as these things go. Are facsimilies
available anywhere online?
Best to all,
C.

>>> Taco Walstra 4/2/2008 3:12:42 am >>>
On Wednesday 02 April 2008 08:23, Omer katzir rattled on the keyboard:
> Does any one know where i can buy/download Dowland's books? The
> versions on the net are written for 8 or more course while I'm playing
> 7 like our not so dear Mr. Dowland.
>
> Need it for a project.
>
> Thank you all and have a really nice day!

Hi, an often used edition is the Diane Poulton edition with the collected
music (almost complete, and some pieces which are - I think- not by
dowland).Published by faber & faber. (with horrible staff notes, so lots of
page turning) Can be found on amazon and many musicshops will have it in
stock. Don't forget to take a large wallet.
The pieces by dowland are for a mix of lutes sometimes even a 9th course is
used. This is because all the pieces come from sources where people arranged
it for the lute available. If you have only a 7th course lute available than
play the piece on this lute and transpose the bass notes which are too low.
Guitarists also play dowland and they have only 6 strings....
What dowland himself played is almost certainly a mix of lutes. The only
published pieces by him were his super popular lutesongs and they also ask
for an 8 course lute.
Taco