From: "Christopher Stetson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 3:53 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Dowland's Books

Here are links for the Dover editions:
http://store.doverpublications.com/048629935x.html
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486422445.html

>>> Jeffrey Noonan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 4/2/2008 1:12 pm >>>
Broude Brothers Performer's Facsimile Series--lute song books by
Dowland and others as well as Robert Dowland's Varietie of Lute
Lessons. They used to be priced around $18-25 per book.

  Broude does have the occasional sale where you can save 10-20%
if you spend enough $$, but OMI should have these as well.

  jeff

Christopher Stetson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi, all,
If it is the books of songs that you're looking for, Dover
Publications has (or had) an inexpensive modern edition;
complete, 2 books to the volume. They include "original" ( i.e.,
modern typeset) tab, staff notation for capoed guitar with F#
3rd, and voice. Very nice, as these things go. Are facsimilies
available anywhere online?
Best to all,
C.

>>> Taco Walstra 4/2/2008 3:12:42 am >>>
On Wednesday 02 April 2008 08:23, Omer katzir rattled on the
keyboard:
> Does any one know where i can buy/download Dowland's books? The
> versions on the net are written for 8 or more course while I'm
> playing
> 7 like our not so dear Mr. Dowland.
>
> Need it for a project.
>
> Thank you all and have a really nice day!

Hi, an often used edition is the Diane Poulton edition with the
collected
music (almost complete, and some pieces which are - I think- not
by
dowland).Published by faber & faber. (with horrible staff notes,
so lots of
page turning) Can be found on amazon and many musicshops will
have it in
stock. Don't forget to take a large wallet.
The pieces by dowland are for a mix of lutes sometimes even a 9th
course is
used. This is because all the pieces come from sources where
people arranged
it for the lute available. If you have only a 7th course lute
available than
play the piece on this lute and transpose the bass notes which
are too low.
Guitarists also play dowland and they have only 6 strings....
What dowland himself played is almost certainly a mix of lutes.
The only
published pieces by him were his super popular lutesongs and they
also ask
for an 8 course lute.
Taco