Another way would be to create a new part. This was done in the old days and we have contra-parts for Francesco Fantasias and many other pieces.

On Apr 28, 2008, at 9:48 PM, Herbert Ward wrote:

The obvious method for making a duet from a solo is
to simply divide the notes between the two lutes,
usually giving the melody notes to one lute and the
remaining notes to the other lute.

Are there any more sophisticated considerations
for endevours of this type, which can be formulated
into textual rules?  I ask because sometimes
the above method seems to change the character of
the piece somewhat.

Ed Durbrow
Saitama, Japan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]