Andrew:

This whole thread has been fascinating to me.  Sorry I have not had the
time to participate earlier.

Since I created the spreadsheet, one might logically ask which fret
placement system I use.  The answer is, none of the above.  I have set my
frets empirically, according to what sounds good to me.  I just measured
my 55 cm 7-course, the instrument I play most frequently, and got the
following numbers (nearest half mm), with indications in parentheses as
to which historical temperament most closely matches that value:
1st, 2.85 cm (Kepler tastino)
2nd, 5.75 (Aron meantone)
3rd, 8.7 (Equal temperament!)
4th, 10.95 (Aron meantone/both Mersenne)
5th, 13.7 (both Mersenne/Werckmeister)
6th, 15.85 (Silbermann 1/6th comma)
7th, 18.1 (Aron meantone)
8th 20.05 (Silbermann 1/6th comma)

Keep in mind that the fret placement interacts strongly with how you set
the piteh intervals between the strings in determining the frequency
generated by any given string/fret combination, so that you cannot just
tune each string off an equal-tempered electronic box and expect any
historical temperament to sound good.  For example, I take a reference
pitch for the 6th course and tune the 4th course/2nd fret to an exact
octave above that, so the 2nd fret placement determines the 6th/4th
course interval.  I then tune the 2nd course 3rd fret from the open 4th
course (maybe not quite so exactly), so the 6th/2nd course interval is
determined by the placement of both the 2nd and 3rd frets.

I am kind of out of time, but I will try to continue this evening.

Daniel