I'm wondering:  what is it that makes up the "French style" of
Baroque music?  I don't mean particularly stile brise, notes inegall
etc.  Those are obvious, and to me insufficient explanations to
convey the French Baroque.  It seems to me there's more to it than
that.  Are there, for example, considerations in the French style
that have to do with the cadences and general kinds of rhythms of the
French language itself?  What things does one need to understand /
appreciate in order to make effectively rhetorical music in the
French style?

Anybody got any ideas on this?

Best,

David Rastall