On Jul 7, 2008, at 10:38 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>      I think the option you really should consider
> facing (even though it hurts to think about it) is to
> bite the bullet and buy a real theorbo.  It will sound
> so much better.  Also, if you make a compromise
> instrument, you'll only learn to play that specific
> "theorbo."  Not that public opinion is everything, but
> what's the point of going for the legitimate degree if
> no one takes you seriously the minute you open your
> case because of your rigged-up lute?

I agree, as a serious player, one needs to have a good instrument;
but on the other hand public opinion is not the best reason in the
world to part with thousands of dollars.

As far as being taken seriously, audiences mostly enjoy being
entertained.  Many of them have never seen a lute actually being
played before, so they're interested in the instrument and what it
sounds like.  As for those who sit out there judging us on the
precise angle of our pinkies, and the precise length of our
apoggiaturas, well, any damn fool can be a critic.  But how many can
get up there and play...?

>      Sorry to be blunt, but there are a fair number of
> snobs in early music who try to outdo each other with
> the severity of their various
> tuning/temperament/string material/instrument
> choice/etc. fetishes.  While these are all legitimate
> areas of investigation, the unfortunate fact is that
> there are those who will judge you more on these
> factors than your playing.

It's true there is a certain amount of theorbo-envy in the lute
community.  And why not?  Size is everything, right?  ;-)  ;-)

As for being judgemental, it's good to bear in mind that when we
point a finger, we always have three fingers pointing back at ourselves.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]