On Jul 16, 2008, at 9:15 PM, Herbert Ward wrote:

> Sorry for not being clear.  I meant to ask about right-hand
> technique.  Is the extra flexibility of significant help in
> the right hand?

Dear Herbert,

I would say yes, definitely.  I had a couple of sessions with Richard
Stone in May and June, and we talked about this quite a bit.  I'm
trying to make the changeover from 35 years of renaissance lute thumb-
under, to some form of Baroque lute thumb out, or at least thumb-
middle.  It's a difficult thing to jump into.  One of the points that
Richard bought out as being the next step in my right-hand progress,
was to tell me to play with a lot of flexibility in my right hand
fingertips.

You can also get some advice on this subject, from Ronn MacFarlane's
web site:  http://www.ronnmcfarlane.com/lute/btb/BTB_11_Tone_Control.pdf

Ronn sees that last joint on your right hand as your "tone Control."

Best wishes

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]