On Jul 17, 2008, at 10:25 AM, David Tayler wrote:

> The "next step" (aka "the next level") is now becoming an interesting
> pedagogical device. Teachers find that it is a good way to encourage
> people, as opposed to to an approach based on "square one" or
> "fundamentals."
> A lot of teachers are using it; a lot are discussing it. Teachers use
> it as a way of safely critiquing other teacher's work indirectly a
> well.
> The idea of square one is frumpy, old fashioned and unattractive.

I don't think the "next step" is necessary the next level.  I've got
plenty to do still on the level I'm on now!  Anyhow, I didn't get
that phrase "next step" from any teacher.  I just always think of it
that way in relation to my own playing.  I'm not much of a lesson
taker, or a seminar goer:  generally I prefer to work intuitively by
myself, until I think it might be beneficial to ask one of the "heavy
hitters" for advice.

As for the fundamentals:  I go back to them all the time.  I begin
each practice session at "square one." with warm-up exercises that
are generally at the square one level.

> The question it raises is whether the method effectively avoids
> addressing the core skills, jury is out on that one.

Well, how many lutenists live near enough a good lute teacher to take
regular lessons?  Not many, right?  Many, perhaps most, have to be
content with whatever they can get at the various seminar workshop
weeks.  I imagine the lessons offered at the seminars are on various
skill levels, but even so it's only for a few days at a time.  Very
few luters take lessons once a week on a regular basis.  Mostly we
have to pick up what we can, wherever we can find it, and what we get
may or may not include solid grounding in the basics.  That's
nobody's fault in particular:  it's just the way it is.

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]