On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, David Tayler wrote:

> I think Peachy falls into the "very picky" category.

Peachy Ninny?  Well, that might explain it all.

> Hard to ignore the first responders.

Do you mean that he is on life support? Or do you think that those first
responders who were talking about re-entrant tuning were on to something?
Would that not be strange when on is talking about the introduction to a
book called "Intavolatura di liuto et di chitarrone." Who knows a whole
new world of music opens up if one throws some random octave leaps into
the music.  Or maybe I'm already in the alternative universe by not using
reentrant tuning?  Only Mathias said that these Piccinini rolls were not
uncommon in Baroque music without bringing up re-entrant tuning.

Anyway, Piccinini wrote about these rolls without ifs and buts, but still
manages to be quite obscure:
   "These are called arpeggiated chords because they sound similar in sound
    to chords played on a harp."
In other words, rolls go up in pitch, i.e. reentrant tuning?  Hell, who
knows what harpists used to do. anyway?

Here is a challenge for the reentrant-tuning crowd.  P'ni also has the
following example
---
---
-0-
---
-3-
-2-
This, when it carries a 4 on top, should be played as 4 notes in the
following order: 0/p, 3/i,2/m,3/i.  Now, there you have fascinating
re-entrance!

Peter.

> dt

the next auto-quote is:
The truths of religion are never so well understood
as by those who have lost the power of reasoning.
(Voltaire)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881