On Jul 22, 2008, at 5:29 PM, David Tayler wrote:

> I think Peachy falls into the "very picky" category. Hard to ignore
> the first responders.

Indulge me some room to babble a bit about Merle Travis here.  I
personally think that Merle Travis did the same for American country
music in the 1930's that "Kap" and "Peachy" did for Italian lute
music in the 1630's (give or take a year or two):  he provided a
definitive way of playing it.

Merle's style was not derivative:  he had very few predecessors to
learn from.  But those who came after him emulated his playing to the
point that it became known as "Travis picking."  Doc Watson even
named his son after him.  That's pretty cool, right?

But it was not Merle's thumb-and-one-finger technique that made him
legendary.  It was his sound.  Chet Atkins and all the others who
played in that style were going for that sound, and came to it each
in his own way, some using thumb plus all four RH fingers!  (if you
want to hear some wild Travis picking, find Doyle Dykes on YouTube.)

Okay, finally my point:  I'm suggesting that it was probably the same
with K and P:  people heard them play and wanted that sound, which in
it's day was the sound of the new music.  I'm willing to bet that
lutenists who heard those guys play used that sound as a yardstick
for developing their own ways of playing.

Never having heard that "sound" first hand ourselves, I guess we have
try to recreate it by studying the sources, hopefully throwing a bit
of intuition into the mix along the way.  But the last word as to
what K's and P's music can sound like today, is in our hands.  My
point is that we can all develop our own style of "Travis picking."

Thanks for reading all the way to the end.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]