I had mine 8 + 6. For F# and G#, indeed, very usefull when playing
continuo. But after changing to gut I was not satisfied with 7 and 8
(I know: too small a theorbo in the first place, but that has its
advantages, too). So  had 7 + 7 for a while and then 6 + 8. Sound is
so much better now. Theorbos are all about low basses, so it does make
sense. And I can live without F# and G#, after all.

David

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Nigel Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Even though most surviving theorbos are strung 6 + 8, does anyone know of
> any originals strung 8 + 6 as many modern players seem to prefer?
> Certainly being able to stop the 7th and 8th courses (i.e. Gsharp and F
> sharp) makes life easier, but you don't benefit of course from the wonderful
> "presence" of the long basses.
>
> Anyway, just wondering
>
> Nigel

David van Ooijen