On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:24 AM, Nigel Solomon wrote:

> Even though most surviving theorbos are strung 6 + 8, does anyone
> know of any originals strung 8 + 6 as many modern players seem to
> prefer?

There are some instruments in the Lute Society of America's database
that appear to be theorbos with seven and eight fingerboard courses,
though I suppose some of them are open to debate about whether they
are "theorbos" or low-pitch something elses.   I'm attaching a
compilation that you (i.e. Nigel, since the list doesn't allow
attachments) can look at and draw your own conclusions.