I measured David's system with my measurement microphones, a 32 bit
recorder and a strobe, and the notes were accurate. The best notes
are dead on, the worst a cent or two off, which is normal anyway--if
you hit the string harder they will drift more. I posted the photo on
my web site. More than that, I cannot do, but I would think that
would be enough.
The measurements measured the sound, which I equate with reality, but
from a physics point of view there is some wiggle room there, since
one can technically distinguish perceived sound from measured sound
as in combination tones, or changes in the ear itself.
However, David's system is the only one that I have measured that
works. In practice, the lute was VERY in tune with the harpsichord
and the organ, and much more in tune than the other instruments.
The frets were adjusted slightly to account for differences in
tension, etc, as one always does anyway.
In short: easy to do, proven to work, And I owe David a beer, at least.
dt