anyone have experience with these strings?

Yes, I do.

1. Do they sound as good as sheep gut? If not, are they at least better
sounding than nylon or nylgut?

I prefer the sound of Kathedrale, also _very_ long lasting, but some
do disagree about here. Universale is _much_ better than nylon, it
sounds like gut, feels like gut, tatstes like ... it is gut!

I agree that Kathedrale are very nice and not too over bright, but Nick Baldock can't take visa or paypal payment. From France bank transfers cost a minimum of 16 euro, and the forms that have to be filled in are never ending,
and can't be done from home.

Anthony

2.  Are they indeed much longer lasting than sheep gut?

Much, much longer indeed. They make sheep's gut string too. It's not
just cow's. I've recently ordered a sheep's set of 0.40. But the cow
ones won't break, so no chance to test yet.

David