O, with Linux the same applies, you need to install LADSPA plugins, depending
on what you are running, in Debian "apt-get install cmt tap-plugins " .
(installs main ladspa plugins, of course there are more).
However, running Linux, personally i prefer Rezound to Audacity. For some
reason the mixing results are much better. If your copy of the vinyl record has
its' frequencies all around though, JAMin could be of much help, as you will be
able to quickly see and fix the problems. All in all, a combination of jack,
Ardour2, rezound , JAMin and a really good file manager (i use XFE) gives a
really powerful audio station. I never looked back to Samplitude or Cool Edit
Pro.
Alexander