Well, I don't really want to go into a critique of a book or books in a public forum. I just have a different opinion.

And I don't think people play more carefully either. They just play better. I don't think recordings have had a big impact on the way people play live music. I record concerts all the time--most of the professionals don't listen to them and say, wow, I have to be more careful. And if they do listen, they say, hey I played outta tune in bar 12, gotta fix that. I don't call that being careful, exactly, because that is exactly the kind of thing we say in rehearsal.

Possibly, some people are objecting to the modern baroque orchestra standard which is sort of a "crack a note and you are out" mindset. I can relate to that. I live with that every day, because I'm play these gigs every day. But I can also imagine that it was the same back then. The competition is higher, and will get higher still. The winds players I work with set an awesome standard, whether it is trumpet, recorder, oboe or whatever. We didn't have players like that in the 60s and 70s, I guarantee you. And they aren't overly careful, or safer, or uniform, they're just darn good. And they have artistic integrity of the highest professional standard.

dt

On what points do you not agree with Mr. Haynes?

He doesn't say that people play worse, but that they they play safer and in
a more uniform style, since the rise of recordings. This is a general
classical music thing and not about lute playing in particular.

If that is the case then this change in style could have a huge impact on
the way that we think about performing pre-20th century music.

As to if what we are doing is modern or new, I think that is mere wordplay,
ask someone outside our little world and they will probably burst out into
laughter at the mere question :) I do not know of any HIP performer who has
ever claimed to be able to perfectly reconstruct a period style or be
completely authentic...

Wait.... one person is claiming that (name removed to avoid flame war) his
latest promo text....

"XXX treats the lute as the real forerunner to the modern guitar, playing
with a style at once completely authentic and thoroughly revolutionary.
Newly signed to XXXX Records in London, he will record his first album this
year, and it will be released in 2008"

So maybe we are all wrong, it is possible to be "completely authentic"....

I just wanted to recommend a good book, I think it is worth a read.

Anyway I am off to watch the latest episode of Battlestar Gallactica, now
that is new and modern.......

All the best
Mark