My real question was about the highest professional standards, and
   specifically whether lutenists can ever hope to match the standards of
   top pianists or violinists, for example, while they persist in
   spreading their efforts over so many different instruments.  Diversity
   is fun, but can a lutenist ever hope to attain the mastery of Murray
   Perahia or Alfred Brendel (and this is not just about virtuosity) when
   he is torn in so many directions?   Excellence requires some hard
   choices to be made.

   On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM, William Brohinsky