BTW, am I right that the gut is fixed with some glue near the neck (white spot)?
JL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stewart McCoy" <lu...@tiscali.co.uk>
To: "Lute Net" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:14 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Laurent de La Hyre

  Dear Jaroslav,

  You hook the gut on to one of the buttons of your coat to stabilise the
  lute while you are holding it. I seem to remember Mersenne mentioning
  it. See also Robert Spencer's article on the theorbo in Early Music. It
  is likely that Mouton is holding his lute this way in the famous
  picture of him.

  Best wishes,

  Stewart McCoy.