On 6/13/2009, "Bruno Correia" <bruno.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    I have a question regarding the difference between a 10 course lute and
>    an archlute. I know that an archlute may have up to 14 courses and the
>    lowest basses will run on an extension head, unlike the 10 course that
>    will have all the strings on the fingerboard.  Is that the only
>    difference between them? If the same music is executed on both
>    instruments, would we recognize on a blind test one an the other? This
>    is part of my Doctoral thesis...

Dear Bruno, they are different instruments - different "animals" as
some would say. Often for ex. the archlute has single basses while a
10-courser always has double basses with octaves... Etc. Two separate
instruments.
And yes, we would definitely "recognize on a blind test one an the
other".

All the best,

Arto