>    There are specific skills you need to be a professional

yes, but, what kind of professional?

>    even if you could, as some of
>    the great cornetto players can, improvise in the style of Bassano and
>    others, this would definitely not land you a job.

In itself, perhaps not, but one doesnt get to that level of performance
without other skills developing too.  Would you have this young lady (or
any player for that matter) be less rounded musically?  Luckily, improv is
a skill one can practice in the mind, with the ever-present voice as well
as when other instruments come to hand.

Further, there is work for soloists as well as the regular players in an
orchestra, band, or ensemble; I note the work of George Weigand and
consorts he has played with, also the Baltimore Consort and others.
Lutenists are not limited to careers playing continuo, there is other
work; and artful improv (playing 'new musicke' as well as olde) was
respected and considered for appointments.  How can it help to scant a
long-acknowledged historical performance practice?

I am thinking of the several Mozart Concertos with empty staves needing
cadenzas; also dixieland and jazz where improv is expected of soloists.
Consider that that particular skill didnt hurt Mozarts reputation any.

Improv is lots of fun and a reward in itself that one needs no job to
enjoy; the technical work that leads to such facility as allows
experimentation as one plays should also be a part of the workout for
anyone, pro or amateur, aspiring to mastery of an instrument.
--
Dana Emery