Hey Luther, hang in there!  I remember feeling the way you do when I first came
to the lute after years of guitar playing.  I was used to popping in a store
and checking out their merchandise or getting a pack of strings off the rack.
It took me a while to realize the the culture of the two instruments is quite
different.

The lute is still a very specialized market.  As such, there aren't so many
players to support the kind of large industry that could churn out
decent-quality, affordable beginner instruments.  Likewise, because the market
is so small, instruments are hand-made by folks who have had to learn the craft
from the ground up.  There's also a certain degree of research and development
in lute building as today's makers are still investigating historical modes of
construction and experimenting in the various ways in which these "new" ideas
can be applied.  This isn't reflected in the price of a modern classical
guitar, which has used a more or less standardized form and method of
construction since (_only_ since!) the 1950's.

But not all hope is lost.  Keep checking Wayne's "Lutes for Sale" page.  You
may have to wait around for a month or two, but you'll find something in your
price range eventually.  (Act quickly if you see something you like -
affordable lutes get snatched up in a flash.)  You must have patience in the
lute world where nothing is pre-packaged.  Just wait until you get into the
joys of stringing - there are no "normal, high or hard tension" pre-selected
sets for us! :-)  But this is all part of the fun and your wait will be well
worth it.

Chris