Because a good Lute by a master craftsman is more a work of art than the sum total of a bunch of wooden elements shaped by hand and glued together. Most who play the Lute can tell from the quality of the sound whether the Lute is the work of skill and artistry or the product of some sort of paint by the numbers operation somewhere where labor is figured in the essentials of a desperate life. In short a good Lute costs what it costs because that is what the market is. You being a business man should appreciate that, or at least understand it. My father had a saying: A thing is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are many Lute players that are willing to pay high prices for the kind of Lutes some builders are capable to producing. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Seth Appel" <seth.ap...@gmail.com>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:18 PM
Subject: [LUTE] : Cost of a lute?

  So the thread about student lutes and costs has got my brain working...
  and let me state right away that by profession I am a business man and
  not am musician.

  Why does a lute cost as much as it does?

  Is it materials?

  Labor?

  A price premium for know-how?

  Are the Pakistani lutes cheap (in both the good and bad sense) because
  they are using poor materials, or is it because the craftspeople simple
  don't know how to make them better?  Could an accomplished luthier go
  to Pakistan and work with them for a month and enable them to start
  producing truly good lutes at the same price?

  Or would this transformation take years of education and training?

  I wouldn't expect the Pakistani factory to produce master peices, but,
  as noted earlier, if someone can produce passable violins at $300, and
  lord knows there are plenty of cheap but OK guitars around, it escapes
  me why there are not cheap but OK lutes in the marketplace.

  On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 2:18 PM, marius david cruceru