>>    And no manuscript annotations to show how the player adapted the part
>>    for his instrument.  Maybe the musicians simply weren't allowed to
>>    write on the music.

the pencil as we know it today was protean then, artists certainly had
charcoal sticks for skethes, but these may not have been apt for legible
music anotations.  i dont see inkwells in the pit, even assuming the
musician has a pocket in his coat tails to carry it in.

Technology aside, I suspect the distributed copies were simply respected
by the musicians, no marks dared.  It would have been unlikely that any
musician would have been afforded the time and opportunity of making a
personal copy that could be amended.

--
Dana Emery