Insofar as it "is seen as denial of the saving power of Christ," it seems to me
that the reference is more properly to despair. You might want to read what
Thomas Aquinas wrote on the matter in ST I-II,q. 20, which you can find in a
mediocre translation here:

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3020.htm#article1

He notes, however, in the fourth article that despair can arise from acedia or
sloth.