2009/12/15 Luca Manassero <[1]l...@manassero.net>

     Dear LuteList friends,

     - there are plenty of lutemakers in the US and in other parts of the
     world. Lutemakers with a very strong reputation and (often)
     reasonable waiting lists;

   Oh yes, if I earned my living in Euros I would only order instruments
   with "good makers".

     - so why you placed an order to a good lutemaker living in a very
     distant country? I guess mainly because this good lutemaker was
     cheaper.

   Well, and he is not that cheap... his prices have risen considerably.

     - Money gain always comes at risk: the higher the gain, the bigger
     the risk, usually.
     Everybody can take the consequences of all this.

   A very good lesson indeed.

     I do not want to suggest anything so tragic, but for what we all
     know he could be dead, and (as far as I know) there's no internet
     available THERE.

   Ok, the guy does not live in a remote village, he does have internet,
   cell. phone and etc... I'm sure he reads this list, he is aware of all
   this.

   Btw he is not dead, I met the guy a month ago. He delivered a theorboed
   guitar to a friend of mine after many, many calls and a lot of
   headache. Believe me, it was a pain to get the instrument... Ah, he
   fretted the guitar with nylon and did not fix the last frets in wood.

   We did not talk much. A good thing for his health, cause I'm not very
   happy with him.

     Sorry, but I felt telling you. For the future check that very good
     lutemaker near you, or one of the many located in Europe and not
     necessarily disappearing with your deposit(s).

   A very good advice.

   Sorry for all of you.

   Regards.

     Luca