In my opinion, its definitely not just in the brain.  If I try
to play early in the morning, even after I've had my caffeine,
the fingers of both hands just don't work all that well.  By the
afternoon the brain may be sluggish and in need of a nap, but the
fingers are warm and much more capable.  Of course you need both
the mental and finger facility.  But clearly warmed up fingers is
really a physical thing.

Suzanne