This discussion is probably more hypothetical than objective, being determined by the individual player more than an over all axiom. I think that the actual effort of "warming up" the hands plays a dual purpose; that of warming up the focus. As the hands become mobile the mind becomes more intent on the labor. As the mind becomes more intent on the labor and focused on the music the hands become less tense and more in harmony with the mind. If your mind is wandering to the itch in your back side your hands are less with what your mind is doing or wanting to do. I know that is a crude metaphor but it does demonstrate what I believe is the occasion to double mindedness where the total commitment of the mind hinders the commitment of the hands. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Suzanne and Wayne" <angevin...@att.net>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 1:59 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Physiology of being warmed up.

In my opinion, its definitely not just in the brain.  If I try
to play early in the morning, even after I've had my caffeine,
the fingers of both hands just don't work all that well.  By the
afternoon the brain may be sluggish and in need of a nap, but the
fingers are warm and much more capable.  Of course you need both
the mental and finger facility.  But clearly warmed up fingers is
really a physical thing.

Suzanne

Since being warmed up is a major part of lute playing, I wonder
whether anyone knows about the physiology of being warmed up?

Is being warmed up in the brain?  In the muscles?  In the spinal cord?
Can one learn not to need it?  Can drugs help?  Is it related to the
distinction between short-term memory and long-term memory?  What
everyday lute playing wisdom might shed light on the question?  Etc.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4707 (20091221) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 4707 (20091221) __________

http://www.eset.com