>    The Scots/Irish clarsach (medieval wire-string harp) of yore had the
>    two central strings tuned to b, and were referred to as the 'two
>    sisters'. I have a couple of theories as to why this should be. 1) one
>    of them was b flat

Thanks for the mention, this is the first I have heard of the 'two
sisters', dont recall it in Roslyn Rensch's book on harps (my copy is the
1998 edition, I see a 2007 now).  Any date for first mention?

I am inclined to agree with you, scholars lacking solid evidence in either
direction will argue all round the barn, but I see the practical side of
it, b-flat is the first accidental needed, so would be the first provided.
 Keyboards, harp, hammered dulcimer; regular spacing between the courses
is a major aspect in play, to violate it would not be done casually, there
had to be some reason favoring the use of the 'two sisters', and having
both b and b-flat available seems to me the only reason.
--
Dana Emery