>    "We are of the opinion that the earliest picture of an undeniably wire
>    strung harp referred to in writing associated with the picture as an
>    Irish (or Scots) harp, much later to be known as clarsach, is from
>    Michael Praetorious, early 1600's.

I dont have access to Roslyn Renches book as I write this, it is at home.
There are a few clarsarchs surviving from before 1600, at least 1 century
prior.  I suspect some iconographic evidence for that distinct shape of
harp do exist, and contrast with the continental form which is more
acutely angled and has a thiner soundbox.

BTW, who is this 'We'?  You mucking about with royalty?

>    Even until Haydn the formal orchestra had no
>    standardized tuning for string instruments

well, yes, no absolute pitch reference existed, but what of it?  this does
not prevent B-quadratus from being distinguished from b-rotundus, nor did
it prevent the development of different practical ways of tempering the
relative tones.
--
Dana Emery