Ed,

    Right after I came out with my Hurel album, I received a private email from
someone who regularly contributes to this list.  This was one of the first
comments I got about the project.  In the rudest, most brusk manner, this
person told me A) What an awful job I had done with the repertoire B) How could
I be so thoughtless as to use synthetic strings? C) I was being irresponsible
to the repertoire and instrument by even presuming to have such a wretched
recording out there D) I should just hang it all up right then.  This was from
someone who was definitely informed about the lute, but constructive criticism
it was not.

    Who knows?  Maybe the guy was totally right about all those things, but he
knew very well that I was a young guy and that this was my first recording.  I
knew that the album wasn't perfect, but felt that I had accomplished something
just by doing it.  Fortunately, it hasn't brought me to too many tears.  (I
wrote him back a message politely thanking him for his insights.)

    I don't believe this individual would have ever had the guts to make these
statements in an educated public forum.  I say again - for those who don't want
negative comments on their videos, disable the comment feature on your account.
 (I believe so few do this because they secretly crave the positive comments.)
If you do keep the comments, you have the option of deleting any you find
offensive.

Chris