Stuart Walsh wrote:

I just can't imagine how you get a loud, full sound playing the instrument fingerstyle when the instrument has such a tiny body. (But with a plectrum the instrument truly chirps). I think it was Stewart McCoy who, in a previous discussion of this same subject, said that mandolino strings at that short string length are going to feel like steel bars...and they do. So the technique of getting a sound from the strings of a lute or guitar or wire-string instrument (e.g. English guitar) wouldn't be any use at all - it would surely be far too gentle? Well, not for me, anyway.

Well I came across this youtube video of Alex Timmerman playing an Alemanda by Ceccherini (it's also in Tyler's book). Played with gusto! Sounds forceful and loud - and punteado/fingerstyle. Dunno how he does it. Nails?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SYZ8L2aLww

Stuart

Jake Shimabukuro (modern uke virtuoso) gets a great, full sound but he seems to have an odd technique based around the RH thumb - nothing like early guitar or lute technique.

)All those medieval depictions of gitterns have the celestial folk playing with plectra too.)

So what 's the secret? Nails? Or some unusual aspect of construction that enables players to use punteado style successfully?

I'd be really interested to hear/see the instrument played (punteado) - mp3, youtube, anything. A little demo - with fingers, plectrum, with other instruments??

Stuart