Dear Stewart,

as far as Thomas Mace didactical skills are concerned, I reckon him a
paragon of a teacher. And I beg to differ as regards his music, I like
it at least as much as continental lute music of the 1650ies through
1670ies, and I do think it's special from a continental point of view.
Much depends on the pitch, though. Once you play it with your 1st course
in g', the music gets a particular flavour. You see, I'm into the
baroque lute, rather. Werl, Ballard 1631 + 1638, Mace 1676. Another bag
for Gaultier 1669, Gallot 1670, Lesage de Richee 1695, Mouton 1699. I
hope four books per bag is okay as well. Never travel without.

Mathias