> Our library is having a crisis because the online resources cost the
> library a lot lot
> more than the old fashioned paper journals!

Ayup.  Shelf space is expensive too, reverse of that coin.

I used to be an active modeler of railroad stuff.  The NYC 42nd st
research library (science and technology) had an incomplete collection of
Car Cyclopedias and Locomotive Cyclopedias, which from ca 1880 onwards
printed plans and photos of railroad cars and locomotives, so those in the
trade could see what was current practice and also know how to repair
foreign equipment when it needed that.

There were also several trade newspapers, Northeastern University had a
basement full of those in 1967.  Doubt they are still there now, but back
then they were a treasure trove of information.

As I pack to move, I have to face the probable lack of space, have already
dumped some ACM and IEEE journals I inherited from a former roomate;
neither of us had the time to read them when published...

--
Dana Emery