Dear Helen,
One of the mysteries of 16th century Italian music is why there are
so few lute songs surviving - other responses to your question have
mentioned
most of the known sources, and they are far fewer in number than we might
reasonable expect. We certainly know that singing to the lute was hugely
popular - Castiglione's famous quote says it all:

"But singing to the lute  with the dittie (me thinke) is more pleasant than
the
rest, for it addeth to the wordes such a grace and strength, that it is a
great
wonder."

Baldassare Castiglione, "Il Libro del Cortegiano,"
Venice, 1528. Translated by Sir Thomas Hoby, 1561.

So it seems that perhaps the idea of a fixed accompaniment to a song was
slightly
alien to the time and accomplished musicians simply improvised on the spot
or
memorised their accompaniments and had no need to write them down. But the
few settings that do survive - like the Bossinensis prints - demonstrate how
lute song accompaniments were made, and it's not an unduly difficult task to
take the vocal originals of part songs and create your own lute song
versions.
I spent several years doing that as I knew a singer who shared my enjoyment
of 16c Italian music, and we essentially created our repertoire that way. I
have
attached some examples of settings to the copy of this message sent directly
you (we can't send attachments to the lutenet).

Ron Andrico and Donna Stewart have done some wonderful work in this field,
and
you can find their books at: http://www.mignarda.com/editions/

I am writing here mainly about the early & mid 16c - by the end of the
century
the development of continuo was changing performance practice radically. For
more
on that see 'Per cantare e sonare - accompanying Italian lute song of the
late
sixteenth century' - by Kevin Mason, in 'Performance on Lute, Guitar &
Vihuela' edited by
Victor Coelho, Camridge University Press, 1997.

Best wishes,

Denys