Dear List,

Does anyone know what the various time signatures mean that appear in
Purcell's "Cupid, the slyest rogue alive"?

My edition starts in 2/2 (C-slash), then goes to "C-slash-3" which I
interpret as 3/4 measures with the same duration as half the preceding
2/2 measures.  Then it goes back to 2/2 and alternates between 2/2 and
something denoted by a C-slash in mirror image (mirrored about the
vertical).  I guess it's a faster 2/2.  If so, how much faster?

Thanks,
Peter.

the next auto-quote is:
The wise man belongs to all countries, for the
home of a great soul is the whole world.
(Democritus)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881