The first part of Playford's Harmonia Sacra was published in 1688. That's
twelve years after Mace's Musick's Monument which is considered today as
old-fashioned in its claim for the 12c double-headed lute as a standard
lute. Nevertheless, the 12c double-headed lute still was played in England
around 1710 (see
http://www.accordsnouveaux.ch/de/Abhandlung/Quellen/Quellen.html => 33-J-Tn
42, TOKYO, Nanki ongaku bunko (J-Tn), Ms. N-4/42, ca 1706-1721).

So one may safely say that the 12c double-headed lute possibly was within
the scope of thorough-bass instruments that Playford had in mind. On the
other hand, theorbo lute may just as well have signified the English theorbo
with its 1st course down one octave (but not the theorbo which Mace
describes).

Sad enough, only a handful of 12c lutes in their pristine states have
survived at all. So, we will never know where exactly the 12c lute was
played, and if Mary Burwell's statement was justified that French masters in
general had given up that instrument. After all, it is very well suited for
song accompaniment.

Mathias