Don't know about Boulez and Gounod, but Berlioz would sound fantastique only
with octaves. There is actually an archlute intab. of Debussy's  "fille aux
cheveux de lin"  that is great fun to read through. Very refreshing and
delightful harmonies, especially on the archlute. Some impossible high notes,
though.

Seriously, in Weiss I have encountered situations where the part writing is
destroyed (to my ears) by the 6th course octave string going above a low lying
treble line. And in some cases that 6th course note is a middle voice, making
it all the more difficult to play only the fundamental and not the octave.

When I need the sound of a 6th course octave, I can often refinger the note on
the 7th course.

Dan